Few hours ago, Microsoft had released Windows 8.1 Public Preview at BUILD Conference. Many people are having doubts about this release. So we are posting some FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) here on our blog and I hope that after reading all of them carefully, one would not have any doubt about Public preview of Windows 8.1.
1. What are Windows 8.1 Preview and Windows RT 8.1 Preview?
Ans: Both are the pre-release versions of Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1 respectively. It means that both are in beta release. Windows 8.1 Preview is an addition to Windows 8 and bring many new features, enhancements, improvements and bug fixes. While Windows RT 8.1 is an addition to Windows RT which also brings new features, enhancements, improvements and bug fixes to this OS.
2. Will you recommend to install Windows 8.1 Preview?
Ans: I will recommend you to try Windows 8.1 Preview only on any Virtual Machine or as a separate OS because it is an unfinished product and may contain bugs which can make the system crash. Installing Windows 8.1 Preview is a risky action and you should do the same if you’re experienced enough about computing world. You should note that this version may damage your files, some hardware might not connect to your PC and some software might not install correctly.
3. What are the system requirements to use Windows 8.1 Preview?
Ans: Windows 8.1 works on the same hardware that runs Windows 8.
- Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
- RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
- Free hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
- Graphics card: MicrosoftDirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
In order to use Windows 8.1 Preview you must sign in to your PC with a Microsoft account. The option to create a local account will be made available at the final release of Windows 8.1.
4. What languages are available to download Windows 8.1 Preview in?
Ans: Windows 8.1 supports only Arabic, English (US), Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), French, German, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish.
5. Will I be able to keep my files, settings and apps If I upgrade to Windows 8.1 Preview?
Ans: It depends on from which OS are you upgrading. Here is a table which describes it:
6. How do I install Windows 8.1 Preview?
Ans: There are two ways in which you can install Windows 8.1 Preview:
(i) Through Windows Store
Use the following link to know more:
7. Is there any product key to use during installation or is it not required?
Ans: If you install Windows 8.1 Preview through Windows Store, you won’t need any product key but if you install it using ISO files, you will need to enter the following product key:
8. Can I uninstall Windows 8.1 Preview?
Ans: Uninstalling is not supported. If you have upgraded from Windows 8, you can use PC Refresh option. If you have installed it as a separate OS, you can simply format the drive in which you have installed it using a CD, DVD or bootable USB (Make sure to backup the important data from that drive which you are formatting as formatting process will erase all the date from that drive).
9. I need support for Windows 8.1 Preview. Where should I go?
Ans: Microsoft has created a forum for Windows 8.1 users and you can use the following link to go to the support forums.
I hope many users’ doubts have been cleared. If you still have some doubt, you can mention it in comments.